The Steinmeyer company was founded by Mr. August Steinmeyer in 1920. It was a job shop in the beginning, but already in 1921, Steinmeyer specialized in micrometers. And soon the young company became recognized for this product in the domestic and even in the international marketplace.
When the founder passed away in 1940, Erwin Beck assumed leadership of the small company, which he acquired in 1950. The house with the attached shop, built by the founder in 1937, became the center of a plant which today occupies some 8 acres of land. It still exists - although it has been converted to office space.
Since the late 1960's, the Albstadt plant has been producing ball screws. About 10 years later, this product line outgrew the traditional line, and soon the organization and production equipment had to be tailored towards ball screws. The legacy product range, micrometers, is now produced and supported by an affiliated plant in Suhl / Thuringia.